How to get a Work Visa for China in 2022

There has been an update to COVID-19 The process of getting a work visa for China was never easy. Restrictions on COVID-19 restrictions haven't made things any easier for people who want to do things. China is now requiring all foreigners to show their Electronic Health Declaration QR code and vaccination certificate, as well as negative PCR and antibody tests, when they arrive. This is because of the current pandemic crisis. They will then have more tests done at the airport, and if everything is okay, they will be quarantined for 14 days. Some provinces say that quarantine must last 21 days or even longer for the most serious cases, but this is not always the case. If a visitor tests positive at any point, they are taken to a government facility where they are kept in a sealed area. All of this, of course, is if you have a valid visa to enter the country. Many Chinese embassies, visa processing centers, and consulates were closed for a while, but some have reopened in the last few weeks. We think there will be a lot of visa applications and long delays.

China has a lot of different visas, but only one that lets you work as a TEFL teacher: the Z-Class Visa. If you are going to China on a teaching contract, you can only work if you have a Z Visa. You can't work under any other visa type (e.g., tourist).

Rest assured that you won't have to do all of the work on your own: your future boss will do most of it. We won't lie to you: your first two weeks in the country will be crazy. You'll run from office to office, hand in documents, get medical tests, and so on. The best way to get good grades is to work with a good school like this one. Best schools in China will help you the most with your move.

The following is a general overview of the China visa

China visa options are very wide-ranging. There are visas for tourists, students, and even family members who want to visit their ESL-teaching relatives.

Tourist Visa L

To enjoy a short trip to China before you decide to work or live there, this is the best visa for you. If you get a tourist visa, it usually lasts for 30 days after you enter the country. You can usually extend it once, about a week before it expires. If you fall in love with China and don't want to waste time, you can change your tourist visa into a Z visa while you're there. However, this option is very painful and may not be worth it, to be honest. It's important to remember that you can't teach English on this visa.

Student Visa X

To get a short-term or long-term student visa, you must go to a school or university that has been approved. Because this visa can't be turned into a teaching visa, it's not like a tourist visa at all. Also, you can't teach English or any other subject on this visa.

Business Visa M

This visa is only for business trips to China. It is for people who are looking for factories, meeting clients, or putting together contracts. You'll need a letter of invitation from your Chinese business contacts in order to get this visa. This visa can't be changed once you're in the country. On this visa, you can't also teach English.

Private Visit Visa S

As soon as you start working, your spouse or close family member (parent, child under 18 years old, or parents-in-law) will need this visa to come visit. It's possible to stay for more than 180 days with the S1 and for less than 180 days with the S2. You can't teach English on this visa.

Qualifications for a teaching visa in China

If you want to work in China, you need a Z Visa. This is the only legal way to teach English there. Getting this now takes three steps: First, you need to get a Chinese Work Permit, then you need to get a PU letter*, and then you can apply for a visa.

First, make sure you get your job lined up. Then, go back to step 1.

Then, to get a Z Visa, you must:

Make sure you're between the ages of 18 and 55. If you're older than 55 and find a job, you can make an exception.

Any person who has a Bachelor's degree of any kind should be able to do jobs like this (does not need to be English or teaching-specific)

Have a certificate from TEFL.

Have at least 100 hours of real-life teaching experience (in Tier 1 cities like Shanghai and Beijing, the minimum requirement is 120hr)

Let the right job find you!

Job search function
Recruitment function

Global job opportunities for Chinese companies

GEOR provides 100,000+ jobs for foreigners in China and around the world.
Employment Solutions
Free legal advice
Get professional foreign-related legal advice

Worldwide Talent Acquisition

GEOR provides a global human resource labor management platform tailored to your requirements. We will connect you with top-notch international talent while ensuring your hiring processes align with local labor regulations. Access Talent Globally through our International Recruitment Solutions.

Explore Chinese Job Vacancies

As a top-tier provider of recruitment outsourcing services, we offer expat job opportunities in Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou, whether you're in Asia Pacific, Europe, or the Americas. For additional career opportunities and job listings in China, please log in or register to access more detailed information.
GEOR Global Recruitment is an industry-leading recruitment outsourcing service provider, we are committed to achieving compliant and efficient global recruitment for all kinds of companies around the world. We provide one-stop human resource solutions for digital global employee recruitment and management for Chinese overseas enterprises with our technology platform and professional services, and aspire to become a global human resource labor management platform, which mainly provides foreigner recruitment, foreign talent recruitment, overseas talent recruitment, foreigner job search, foreign talent network, foreigner recruitment network in China, foreign talent recruitment platform, foreign talent job search platform, foreigner talent Recruitment in China, Overseas Foreign Talent Recruitment, Foreign Talent Job Hunting in China, Foreign Talent Headhunting Service, Overseas Foreign Talent Job Hunting, Foreign Talent Intermediary Service, Foreign Talent Recruitment Platform, Foreign Talent Job Hunting Platform and so on. The company has branches in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Chongqing, Suzhou, Chengdu, Wuhan, Hangzhou, Nanjing, Tianjin, Ningbo, Qingdao and Changsha. Our global market experts provide a range of customized recruitment solutions based on your needs. Whether in Asia Pacific, Europe or the Americas, we will match you with the best international talent and ensure that your recruitment practices comply with local labor laws. Our experts have a unique insight into all aspects and every step of the overseas recruitment process. We offer our experience and expertise in everything from inquiring about interviews and developing offer letters to onboarding employees. By leaving the complex hassles of overseas recruiting in our hands, you can save more time and focus on your company goals of global expansion success.

Overseas Employment Agencies and International Recruitment

Whether you're looking for job opportunities abroad or planning to hire foreign talent, our guide has all the information you need. Explore the latest job openings, receive expert agency recommendations, and learn how to secure employment overseas. Don't miss out on global career opportunities; discover trustworthy international employment services right here.